Sunday, July 16, 2017

The Cat Returns



The Cat Returns is not the most well-known of Ghibli films, but it is still a gem that all Ghibli nerds should see.  I personally really liked this movie, and there was a moment in it when I was moved to tears (Haru feeding the little white kitten just got me!).  It was a great little tale about a young, compassionate girl named Haru who saves a cat that just happens to be the prince of the Cat Kingdom.  As the story unfolds, Haru quickly finds that the cats king's way of repaying gratitude is not at all what she expected or wanted.

The first time I watched this film, I was a little indifferent about it, though I still enjoyed it. However, after watching it a second time with a bunch of kids in a class I teach, I gained a deeper appreciation of the film's ability to connect with both young and old audiences alike.  The cat kingdom and the Baron especially are pretty imaginative ideas that I think promote creativity for those who watch the film.  It is just generally a fun movie to watch that makes you feel like you're in some sort of wacky, yet delightful, dream.


That said, there were some drawbacks I noticed more the second time I watched the movie when I saw it with a bunch of kids.  In this particular screening, I had the unique opportunity to see just how young people reacted to different parts of the film, which opened my eyes to a pitfall about the movie. And that pitfall is this: while a majority of the film is pretty captivating and creative, the beginning can be a bit boring for younger audiences--and I'm talking almost the entire first third of the film. The kids just did not enjoy the beginning of the film as much as they enjoyed the rest of the story.  I think this was because the beginning can be pretty slow and, honestly, uninteresting for kids.


Sure, there is a lot to be said about the artistry and the sturdy development at the beginning, but I think it didn't really work in this film.  What I mean by this is that the pacing and the overall feel of the first part of the movie is too slow, even for older audiences.  Not only was there this issue, but there was also the problem of this slower first part being so different from the rest of the movie. Really, I thought the first part of the movie could have been its own film with a totally different air to it.

I know I have some complaints about the movie, but I still think it's great. It is animated so well, has a cute and intriguing storyline, and is a fun watch for kids.  I do think that it can be appreciated more by older kids and adults who love Ghibli, but it is suitable for all ages.

My rating: 8/10

Logan's rating: 7.5/10

~Corey Cherrington






No comments:

Post a Comment