Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Pink Floyd: "HELLO. IS THERE ANYBODY [OUT] THERE?"

If you've never heard of Pink Floyd, I am truly sorry for you because you've missed out.  This band started back in the 60s, and has been beloved ever since.  And this is certainly the case because contemporary audiences still go nuts for their songs, with many of Pink Floyd's pieces having hundreds of millions of views on YouTube.  The band is simply incredible and timeless, as so many classic rock bands are.  Here are our reasons for including the band on our list of the best classic rock bands of all time.


1.) They often used sound clips instead of, or along with, musical instruments (i.e. they experimented with sound).

This is something unique that Pink Floyd tried and succeeded at, and I really think their success in this is on of the reasons why they are so cool.  That is, they were willing to try out things that might not be obvious to other musicians of the time.  I think the best example of this is the band's first hit song, "Money."  Ever heard it?  If not, I'll fill you in here.  The first part of the song is composed completely of cash register sound effects, which is both interesting and catchy.  Another example of this artistic use of non-musical instruments would be Pink Floyd's album, Animals.



2.) They created one of the best rock operas of all time.

The band was not the first to come out with a rock opera, but they did come out with one of the best.  Their opera features some of the band's most popular songs, and was turned into a critically well-received film in the 80s.  Songs included in the rock opera have meaningful, poetic lyrics that give life to the whimsical, mysterious sound in each of the opera's tracks.  





3.) Not gonna lie, their album art is pretty sweet.

In my own experience, I've noticed that one of the bands most widely appreciated for their album art is probably Pink Floyd.  I mean, I'm pretty sure I see at least one person almost every time I go out with a t-shirt of the Dark Side of the Moon cover or another P.F. album cover on it.  Overall, the album art is some of the most visually pleasing and imaginative I've seen. I'll just let you see this one for yourself (pics below).


Women painted with the band's album covers.  Btw, this pic is itself on a ton of t-shirts
(i.e. a mass-produced tribute to the band's album art).

Dark Side of the Moon cover.


Wish You Were Here cover.
4.) They have real musical talent 

A lot of rock bands over time lack at least a little bit in the talent department, with many songs being composed of just a couple of chords repeated over and over again.  Pink Floyd, however, does not do this.  They get creative and even quirky sometimes with the rhythms and melodies of their music.  I mean, they do use some of the typically-used chords in rock, but they are able to turn simple chords progressions into more complex songs that catch your ear like no other.  In my opinion, "Wish You Were Here," the song, is a good example of this because it gives you a somewhat typical chord progression, but it also contains a melody that is one-of-a-kind and extremely pleasing to listen to.

5.) People still adore this band

I just want to emphasize this point here because, even though it has been over four decades since the band's inception, people buy the band shirts and listen to the music like mad.  Maybe this is the case because Pink Floyd were not only unique for their time, but are just generally the only band like it.  I really can't think of a band that is similar in enough ways to call it a Pink Floyd look-alike.

6.) The lyrics are poetic and meaningful

I really appreciate Pink Floyd for its fantastic sound, but I really think their music wouldn't be half as magical without the well-constructed lyrics.  Here are just a few snippets of songs to illustrate what I mean.  Some of them read just like stand-alone poems.

From "Wish You Were Here"
  • How I wish, how I wish you were here
  • We're just two lost souls
  • Swimming in a fish bowl
  • Year after year
  • Running over the same old ground
  • And how we found
  • The same old fears
  • Wish you were here
From "Hey You"
  • Hey you, out there on the road
  • Always doing what you're told
  • Can you help me?
  • Hey you, out there beyond the wall
  • Breaking bottles in the hall
  • Can you help me?
  • Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all
  • Together we stand, divided we fall
From "Money"
  • Money, it's a crime
  • Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
  • Money, so they say
  • Is the root of all evil today
  • But if you ask for a raise it's no surprise that they're
  • Giving none away, away, away
From "Comfortably Numb"
  • Hello.
  • Is there anybody in there?
  • Just nod if you can hear me.
  • Is there anyone home?
  • ...
  • There is no pain, you are receding.
  • A distant ships smoke on the horizon.
  • You are only coming through in waves.
  • Your lips move but I cant hear what you're sayin'.
  • When I was a child I had a fever.
  • My hands felt just like two balloons.
  • Now I got that feeling once again.
  • I cant explain, you would not understand.
  • This is not how I am.
  • I have become comfortably numb.
Well, that's our post about Pink Floyd.  If you have any thoughts about what we think of the band, go ahead and comment below.  Keep your eyes open for our next classic rock post!

--Corey


No comments:

Post a Comment