Sunday, March 25, 2018

Masterminds: But are they really?


Masterminds: But are they really?

From the creator of such classics as Nacho Libre and Napoleon Dynamite I felt like it was an easy task to ascertain the style of humor employed in Masterminds. Was I right? (PS: I’m always right. ;) Umm… sort of. Okay, the humor in this show is that kind of odd mix of stupidity jokes and cheap slapstick. However, I think it worked… sort of. It is so hard to critique this show because from a critic’s perspective, it is pretty trite and standard comedic fare; but from an audience perspective, when it hit its moments, it knocked them straight out of the park.

Let me start by saying that critiquing comedy is ponderously difficult. (Let me refer you to my opinions regarding comedic work here.) Funny is a matter of perspective. If you like slapstick, you may like a movie primarily focused on slapstick humor.  If you don’t like slapstick, that same movie will look like a crap stain on the proverbial underpants of cinematic achievement. If you don’t like poop jokes, you probably were revolted by that previous statement. Understand what I mean?

After that micro-monologue, I’ll explain briefly the plot. This movie is based on the true events of the October 1997 Loomis Fargo Robbery. Zach Galifianakis plays the clueless and frustrated David Ghantt. Ghantt is an armored car driver working for the aforementioned Loomis Fargo. Seduced by the beautiful Kelly Campbell (Kristen Wiig) and under the instruction of the mastermind, Steve Chambers (Owen Wilson), Ghantt robs the company he works for. He steals a grand total of about $17 million and makes off with about $20 thousand of the loot to Mexico in an attempt to evade authorities. He is predictably double-crossed by Chambers. The remainder of the movie consists of heartbreak, a hitman, stupid people being stupid and crazy hijinks.


The beautiful Kelly Campbell
While watching this movie, I found myself laughing heartily at a few really good jokes. I thought the hitman was incredibly funny and I found some of the dialogue to be worth a chuckle or two. However, the jokes, though good, were spaced a little too far apart. These pacing problems had the effect of making this reasonably short movie—94 minutes running time—feel longer than it should’ve been. Some of the jokes that were obviously trying to be funny also fell a bit flat.

Ghantt's travel disguise
With all of its problems, I have to say that my conclusion when it comes to this movie is a bit mixed. On the one hand, you have some really rich humor, but on the other hand, you have some pacing issues and flat delivery. If you’re into that kind of dumb, self-aware Napoleon Dynamite-esque humor, I would recommend this movie to you as a decent rental. If not, you would probably not consider it worth your time or money. I personally would give this movie a rating of 67/100.

H. Logan Christensen


How you smuggle $20 thousand into Mexico?

No comments:

Post a Comment