Monday, July 4, 2016

Flag-waving: Patriotism in Movies

We've all seen that lone American hero rise up against the evils of society or against a deadly foreign threat in order to "save us all." We've seen Jack Ryan, Indiana Jones, Ethan Hunt, a plethora of superheroes, and heroes of all sorts take on the threats to America in a brilliant fashion. I mean come on, who in the post-9/11 crowd didn't applaud in theaters when Spidey jumped in front of an American flag? A little cheesy, yes, but this was just after the most horrific terrorist attack the US had ever experienced.

"Flag-waving" is a marketing technique designed to target our sense of patriotism and love for our nation. I myself am a proud American and, as an American, I love my country and feel a strong sense of loyalty to it. However, sometimes flag-waving feels a little exploitative. I mean, how many movies have had that dollar store symbolism, showing how great the United States is? Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor (2001) is particularly egregious in this sense. (I may do a review of that later.) That's not the only one though, being that almost any historic movie tends to glorify the country in which it was made.

I'm not against flag-waving if it is done from a place of respect and pride. Although, when it becomes a way to virtue-signal, I am vehemently against flag-waving. It's almost like some directors are trying to say: "Look how much I love my country--I love America so much. Aren't I such a great person?!"

Virtue-signaling by using our sense of patriotism is unequivocally wrong. This is especially so because America means a lot more than a chance to turn your patriotism into money; America is a land of freedom that has been bought with the blood and tears of those that have come before us. It is not only a nation founded on the principles of liberty--it's an ideal. America, quite simply, means opportunity. It means that we can dream of a better tomorrow by working hard and being creative. It means an opportunity to achieve our dreams and be a part of something larger than ourselves, while at the same time believing in the power of the individual.

All I'm saying is that I wish movies would express this sentiment more often rather than just shoehorn in an American flag and declare themselves to be "patriotic." Showing how and why America is great is far better than simply slapping a flag in your movie and shouting "'Merica!" This is a nation of lovers, innovators, artists, and dreamers. I love my country and wish more films would showcase those aspects.

Logan Christensen
(Pragmus Alpha)
CEO of Pragmus Media

No comments:

Post a Comment