Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Big Dogs: Best Alternative Rock Bands (Post #2)

CAKE
From "The Distance" Music video.  
Gotta love absurdist humor!
Not brownies, CAKE!  This band is GREAT. I mean, how could you go wrong with the poetically snarky-ness of their songs?  And their music is quality too. Some of my favorite songs from Cake are "Comfort Eagle," "Racecar Yayas,""The Distance," "Short Skirt Long Jacket," "Italian Leather Sofa," and others. Sure, this seems like a lot of favorites, but I think I'm justified in this because, well, Cake is just crazy good and crazy funny!  (Haha, I love that I keep getting to say how much I like cake at the same time as saying that I like Cake...  *Insert cricket chirp here* ;).  These songs are among my favorite songs by Cake because the lyrics are so cleverly nonsensically senisical and the music for these songs is catchy and worthy of good music status.  That is, if you listen to a bit of music by Cake, you'll notice that they're not a standard band.  This is because Cake includes lots of trumpet in many of their pieces and they like to use influences from tons of different musical genres/backgrounds.  In sum, they are really interesting and talented musicians.

So, if you ever feel like you need a pick-me-up in the form of stellar music that cuts the rug and snarks it up at the same time, totally check these guys out!  You know, just check them out anyway! They are, in my opinion, one of the most noteworthy bands in the alt. rock scene, having most of their major hits in the 1990s.  Oh, and they come from California #greatness #nobiashere #okaythereis, which makes them like 100 times cooler on top of all that.  Lol, I kid--I'm from Cali. and pretty proud of it, so I appreciate the fact that Cake origninated in Sacramento, CA.  ;)  And their Cali-ness truly shines through in their chill tunes that will rock your socks like no other.

*Don't agree?  I want to hear about it below in the comments section!  Feel free to express your opinion.*


<<Check out one of their music videos below!  The absurdity in the video definitely matches that of the band.  They are true alternative rockers.>>



No comments:

Post a Comment